Sunday, September 14, 2014

On roses, thorns and buds

In college, the girls and I had a weekly family dinner around our much-too-expensive-for-college-students kitchen table. During every family dinner we took turns going around the table and saying our “highs and lows” of the week. Another name for our little game is “Roses and Thorns” and when we were feeling mega reflective, we even threw in  “buds” which are the things we looked forward to for the coming week. So this week, take a journey with me and imagine you’re sitting around my kitchen table eating a delicious meal of grilled chicken and vegetables prepared by Arlen, fresh bread made by Emily, Sauvigon Blanc poured by Alix and melted chocolate microwaved by Alexa for desert and listen up to my roses and thorns. Then it’s your turn – send me your highs, lows, buds! I’m all ears!

Highs (Roses):
1) I made four fogones (stoves) this week. That meant that I got to eat at four doƱas houses and try four different ways of cooking rice, beans and meat. Albeit every meal was the exact same but they each spiced it up a little differently. I could tell they were putting on a show for me, being sure to include vegetables in the meal and always offering a salad. They also went on and on about how little salt and oil they put in the food and although I watched them throw in handfuls, I am proud they at least know how much damage those things do to your heat, arteries, belly, etc. I’ve taught them well!

2) I had the best dining experience in more than a year. My mom, Luisa, made us all eat together (a rarity here) and we had delicious grilled chicken a la crema, vegetables galore and rice with peas especially for my despedida (goodbye). On Monday I take off for America for the Peace Corps Blog It Home Tour and I really feel like I’m packing and leaving my home for two weeks. I’m going to be leaving my family (but thank god I get to see my momma and bffs, so that’s cool!). It took a really long time to feel this warm fuzzy home-y feeling in Manzanillo and I’m so happy to have found it. I’m so excited to leave, but I know I’ll be excited to come back as well.

3) I keep daydreaming about all the delicious food and fun things I’m going to be doing in America next week! Here’s some highlights of the agenda:
            - I get to give presentations to 7/8th graders in Spanish!
            - Haircut
            - IPAs and Sauvignon Blanc
            - Kale
            - Iced coffee
            - Trader Joes (especially cookie butter and coconut covered cashews)
            - Getting a hotel room all to myself and per diem
            - Wifi everywhere!
            - Seeing the Peace Corps HQ and meeting lots of fun people
            - Talking all about the DR with interested Americans

4) Everyone has been so friendly to me. I don’t know if it’s that the stars and moon are strangely aligned, but everyone in town has been so kind and generous. I haven’t cooked a meal for myself in a week because I’ve been invited to friends, family and strangers houses. It’s been a great week of compartir.

5) I’ve been running early every morning and feel strong and fit! We’ll see what two weeks in America does to me, but I’m feeling motivated with yoga, running, insanity workouts and biking. Maybe I’ll start training for something. It’s not too soon to start preparing for the Peace Corps Thanksgiving Turkey Trot is it?

6) I had a productive and busy week. Peace Corps has highs, lows, down time, busy time, and everything in between. Some weeks drag on and on and on but this week happed super rapido. Which was the perfect distraction! I made 4 stoves, had bunches of meetings, compartired, had an Hogares Saludables graduation and planned for my absence so my projects will continue running smoothly. 

Lows (Thorns):
1) I ride my bike to my worksite in Copey, 30 minutes away. I ride down a paved highway that is neither dangerous nor heavily trafficked. However, everyone asks if I, a single woman, dare ride my bike along the road because...those Haitians are gonna capture me...rob me...kill me or...(the most offensive one) eat me. I cringe when I hear Dominicans tell me this because these “concerns” stems from a place of ignorance and hatred. I have never encountered a mean Haitian nor have I ever felt unsafe or nervous around them. I hate the way Dominicans look down on their neighbors and start superstitions like this. The other day, a 4-year-old told me not to walk alone at night because Haitians are kidnapping children to eat. WHAT THE HECK?

2) Every man (Dominicans, mind you) I pass on my bike riding to and from Copey stares at me like a juicy piece of meat. I hate lingering eye contact, but I’ve turned it into a game now, seeing how long I can hold their stare as they look me up and down on my bike. I usually lose because it’s so damn uncomfortable. I feel more vulnerable with Dominicans passing than I ever have with a Haitian. And their catcalls are offensive. I can count the number of times I’ve had a peaceful bikeride (one without someone saying saying to me “Mmmm, I’d like to mount that,” “Give me a ride later tonight mami chula” or “Damn those legs”) on one finger. 

3) Everyone knows I’m heading to America this week and all they ask is “What will you bring me?” Mind you, I’m not made of money nor extra empty suitcases so I usually just smile and say "a lollipop." The list of requests is as follows:
            - $4,000 from my senator to build a house
            - Lollipops with bubble gum in the middle 
            - The "good kind" of boxers
            - Crystal light packets
            - The "good kind" of flip flops (from Old Navy)
            - A rotisserie oven from a second hand store
            - Brownie mix with nuts
            - Nicotine patches

4) I’m going to have to have an intervention in my Hogares Saludables women’s group. I feel like I have a great leader, Yesenia who is so motivated and dedicated. However, the women have told me in confidence that they feel that she is being a “dictator” and that they don’t get a say in any of the decisions. On the one hand, I think this is obviously unfair, but on the other hand there’s no one who has shown or demonstrated much dedication to our group. Either way I’m going to have to delicately manage the situation when I return. Grrr.

Buds:
1) America! Nuff said.

Here’s to safe flights, free checked bags and endless snacks on JetBlue flights!

Xox,
B.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Panama: Lesson 1

It’s been 2 months and 13 days since I closed my Peace Corps service. The experts call this the “reintegration” phase and remind us that i...