Wednesday, September 10, 2014

On other great Peace Corps blogs

I'm definitely not a blog troll, but I do enjoy reading my friends' blogs documenting their very own experiences as PCVs in the DR. My friends are up to some very cool things here and have different spins on life in the campo, being a PCV and living...so feel free to check them out! 

Katy's blog: http://no-greater-joy.tumblr.com/ 
My friend Katy lives in a small pueblo in the mountains near Lago Enriquillo. She's a super smart Duke graduate from New York and always reading academic reports and studies about international development, problems in the DR and teenage pregnancy rates, etc. She takes the things she reads and integrates them in her PC initiatives. I am really proud of her and it's been fun to watch her success!

Grayson's blog: http://ardorandgray.com/
Grayson lives in a tiny 200-person campo in the middle of nowhere. She's a city girl from North Carolina and is loving her time spent in the sticks. She spends a lot of time training her dog Effie, watching her garden grow, inventing meals with her doñas, kicking ass with Peace Corps projects across ten communities and acting as my moral support most days.

Jessie's blog: http://jessieboas.wordpress.com/
Jessie was my first friend and we met before we even set foot on the island. Her brother, Sam, was my dance partner in a wild and wacky dance crew in college and he connected us in the spring of 2013. Jessie is a Connecticut native, Cornell graduate and bad ass yogi. She devours books, viveres and telenovelas with her doña. She is the spunky, refreshing and reliable person I WhatsApp when I need to vent or ask for help!

Julia's blog: http://briefandwondrousblog.tumblr.com/
Julia is a health volunteer, Michigan native, anthropology major and groovy PCV. She lives in a small campo in the province of Monte Plata and could easily pass as a super model. She's great at leading dinamicas and working with Dominicans. I have loved hanging out with her at various conferences and workshops and feel very lucky to know her. Her blog eloquently documents her challenges, successes and adventures in the DR.

Maria's blog: http://cruzandoelmar.tumblr.com/
Maria is a Cuban/Russian youth volunteer who lives in the mountain town of Jarabacoa. She is sassy and hard-working and has some emotionally charged and profound posts.

Leah's blog: http://leahpeacecorpsdr.wordpress.com/
Leah is a Virginia native/UVA grad who lives in the south in a beautiful campo near the town of Barahona. She hit the site jackpot and I get to go see her site (among beaches like Los Patos, San Rafael and Bahia de las Aguilas) in two weeks and I couldn't be more excited. She's been such a great addition to my PC life here as she's smart, helpful and a motivational volunteer. She's been a great role model for me!

Laura's blog: http://peacechirps.wordpress.com/
Laura is a quirky, reflective and philosophical lady who lives in a small little campo called Los Guineos, or The Bananas. I recently got to hang out with Laura for five whole days during a Deportes Para La Vida camp and I got to talk about life, feelings and our PC experiences more than I have in the past three months. I was so thankful to be able to debrief, digest and talk to her and I'm not even sure she knows how helpful she was! Her blog is intense, spirited, lough out loud and often very deep. One of my personal favorite posts is titled "Goats are people too" and the whole post goes like this: One time I watched a goat slide down a hill on its belly, get up, and do it again.

Lauren's blog: http://lorenainthedr.blogspot.com/
Lauren is a health volunteer, Virginia native and Master's International volunteer (doing her service and simultaneously doing research for her MPH thesis from UVA), who lives far far away in a campo of the town San Juan de la Maguana. We've been friends since week two, when we went to visit an old volunteer together after only two weeks in country. Since then, Lauren's been an awesome friend and inspirational volunteer. She's was given the nickname "Sol" or "Sun" because she's always smiling (and the super blonde hair might have something to do with it, too). Her energy radiates and she has integrated marvelously into her community. I'm also impressed that she has such a huge group of Chicas Brillantes and millions of girls who really look up to her!

Lisa's blog: http://lisaedgeofglory.blogspot.com/
Lisa is a youth volunteer from Puerto Rico living lejos de todo. She went to college in Tampa, Florida so one of the first things I ever said was she probably met my grandma at some point. She's great with kids, funny at blogging and a great volunteer!

I hope you enjoy these blogs!





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article bronwenraff.Customessaywritingservice this is making different types of papers .

    ReplyDelete

Post Panama: Lesson 1

It’s been 2 months and 13 days since I closed my Peace Corps service. The experts call this the “reintegration” phase and remind us that i...