Tuesday, July 9, 2013

On introductions

My name is Bronwen and I'm a small town Idaho native, Tufts University graduate ready for the job of a lifetime serving as a community health Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic from August 2013 through October 2015. According to my acceptance letter, my job description includes:

1: Youth making Healthy Decisions. Educating young people to practice safe sex and prevent 
HIV/AIDS transmission.

2: Improved Nutrition. Improving mothers’ nutritional practices to reduce malnutrition 

among children under five years of age. 

3: Reduce Undesired Pregnancy. Improving reproductive health practices among women living in 

small rural villages. 


With my staging date still over a month away, I am anxiously prepping my suitcases (ehh?) and making lists of all the things I will and will not need to take down there with me. Currently at the top of the "need" list is a crappy plastic watch and a sleeping bag. I've also been thinking I need to start researching the DR and read some Isabel Allende. Suggestions on where to start research are greatly appreciated!

I will update this blog as often as possible and I welcome feedback or questions you have!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Panama: Lesson 1

It’s been 2 months and 13 days since I closed my Peace Corps service. The experts call this the “reintegration” phase and remind us that i...