Tuesday, August 20, 2013

On sending me love letters


Hello friends and family! 

I'm currently sitting in a hotel in Georgetown, DC as I prepare to depart for 27 months of service with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic!

I left Idaho at the end of July and have been in Boston ever since. Thank you to the many who were/are concerned about the Beaver Creek Fire that has ravaged through our town this past week. My immediate family was evacuated from our home but are back now safe and sound. It's a weird feeling to turn on the national news and see images of my hometown burning. But alas, my town and people are safe and the fire is being controlled. Sending all my love and virtual hugs to those friends and family still in Idaho. (If you're interested in checking out some images of the fire, follow this link).

The last few weeks have been a crazy mess of packing, spending time with friends and family, and saying the inevitable goodbyes. Everyone has been asking me how I feel about leaving. Well, I feel great! I am nervous and excited and everything in between. I'm a bit anxious but I suppose that's to be expected. At 12pm today, I will be heading to a conference room in Washington, DC to meet the other 49 volunteers who will be heading to the DR with me tomorrow. We will have a series of presentations and a mess of information thrown at us. And tomorrow at 4am, we depart for the airport and American Airlines Flight 1455 that will bring us all safe and sound to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. From there, we will head to a retreat center outside the capital for vaccines, information, training and mingling. Then on Thursday, I will return to Santo Domingo where I will meet my host family for the first ten weeks of service (fingers crossed they are half as good as my Spanish host family!). And then after three months of training in Santo Domingo, I will be given a position as a health worker in a rural village somewhere (yet to be determined) in the DR. My hope is to be in a village where I can work with women and young mothers, but the Peace Corps placement, from what I understand, it a total crapshoot. I've spoken to many others who have done/are doing the Peace Corps and the advice they give is keep an open mind and let go of expectations. It's sound advice, so I'm trying not to over think the process. Seems easy enough, eh? Can't wait! 

When I arrive in the DR, I will have extremely limited access to internet/phones/modern technology. Be patient if you don't hear from me right away, I send an e-blast to you all as soon as possible but don't suspect I'm dead if you don't hear from me tomorrow. To keep in touch with me, you've got a few options. Email (bronwenraff@gmail.com), phone (that I will be getting after my first month in the DR), snail mail (see details below), and carrier pigeons. Take your pick or use them all, I would love to hear from you and find out what's new in your lives as well!   

Next time we speak, I'll be in the DR. Wish me luck! Good vibes are always accepted!

Here I go!!!! 
Bronwen 

Mail Details:
- I am currently accepting fun articles, love letters, postcards, stickie notes, DVDs (of West Wing, Scandal and Downton Abbey), CDs, and smoke signals. 

Please try to put stuff in a padded envelope as they are less likely to be open/stolen. Avoid sending valuable objects! 

This address will work until November 30, 2013. Then I will send you the address of my village/home that you will be able to use until November 2015 (crazy!).

For regular mail service**. 
Bronwen Raff, PCV
Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 1412
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 


For expedited mail service**: 
Bronwen Raff, PCV 
Cuerpo de Paz
451 Avenida Bolivar
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 

Be well!  


1 comment:

  1. Bronwen- Do you know what region DVD you can play? Normal US Region 1 or DR region 4?

    let me know, love you and so excited for your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post Panama: Lesson 1

It’s been 2 months and 13 days since I closed my Peace Corps service. The experts call this the “reintegration” phase and remind us that i...